The plan was to finish up outstanding projects but instead, I have started others along the way. Some of the new projects, as well as some of the old (er) projects have been completed. I can’t say that I’m completely satisfied with how they turned out but, I now know how to make those less than ideal items better should I decide to attempt them again. (I tried to make a small bench/box without measurements beforehand. I need to take a photo of that one to share for sure…we all could use a laugh from time to time, right?)
The pink and brown jumper was my most recent project. It was completed in less than 3 days. It started out to be this dress
. I followed the pattern and wound up unraveling it twice due to sizing issues. Since I wasn’t up to dickering with the stitches, I opted to save that pattern for another day and embark on a creation of my own. It began with a crocheted rope
or cord that was made long enough to go around the subject (my granddaughter) at mid chest area (think empire waist). Then, working in the loops along one edge of the rope/cord, and using the shell pattern from the dress originally planned, I made the skirt portion, working back and forth for several rows before connecting and working in the round. After finishing off the skirt, I began the bodice. I made another rope/cord long enough for the neckline. Working in the loops along one edge and with this type pattern
in mind, made the bodice to fit her, working back and forth or side to side (however it’s termed working from one edge to the other). When the bodice was long enough, I attached it to the skirt and continued on to the pants
(minus the waistband), again, working side to side until the length of the opening lined up the the opening of the skirt. Then, worked them in the round. I made a few decreases while doing the legs to taper them a bit. Basic bow with contrasting disc were made and attached to one side of back. A length of rope/cord was made and attached to opposite side from the bows at back opening so that there were two loops large enough to fit the bows through snugly…the bows and loops were the closures.
I’m sorry I don’t have a pattern for it but, patterns, like the ones above (hyperlinks), were pieced together to create it.
(you may have to sign up (it’s free) for the pattern), including the assembly time, is one of the easiest, fastest working pattern I have ever made. It can definitely be completed in one good (good = a long stretch of time to devote to the project only) day.
can be completed so quickly that, as long as the pattern is followed, one can have several pairs made by the end of the day (given, the day has been a good one).
The black and green pants were made with the same pattern but instead of making a ribbing at the bottom of each leg, I incorporated a version of the crocodile stitch
I still need to tidy up my tails of yarn and add a closure to the black sweater
. I’m all for all in one designs…little or no piece work and fast working ones, like this one, are ideal for gifts and make for a productive donation season as well.
I absolutely LOVE the pattern
for the hat with the lattice looking pattern! I kept buying yarn just so I could see it in another color! I did have problems with the pattern. The problems were actually with me, the reader, and not the pattern. The pattern is perfect as is. If you try it, there may be some trouble areas around row 5 and again at row 7. If you find yourself getting aggravated ’cause it just ain’t workin’…unravel it to the point before it jumped track, put the piece down and REREAD the pattern sloooooooowly. The pattern is gorgeous and well worth the time it takes to understand and complete it. I know not everyone has difficulty with it but for those who do, know the trouble is not in the pattern.
The hat with the cables and posts is a fast working, interesting pattern
as is the other hat pattern
by the same creator. I love all of her hat patterns!
The afghan below was made using the beautiful pattern
from yarncrazy.com and an absurd amount of green and rust colored yarn I had in my yarn box and had so long I don’t even know why I bought it.
After seeing this beautiful yoke pattern, I decided to give it a try. I had to do a bit of adjusting of the pattern because I was wanting it to fit a 15 month old little girl. For the most part, the part that counts, the stitch pattern, it is the same….just not as big. It wound up being incredibly easy to follow and an insanely fast project…the crocheted yoke, that is. After finishing the yoke, I searched for more yoke patterns and came upon Regina Gees blogspot. She’d successfully, and quite beautifully combined a completed yoke, from the above pattern, to fabric for the perfect Summer dress.
I wound up making a second one. I was so excited about the pattern that I made the first one before getting my grand daughter’s measurements. The first was about 3″ shy of her chest width. I couldnt’ bring myself to unravel it. I think I’ll add something to each end to extend it.
The yoke that is laying on top of the pink fabric is the first one. I took a shot of it so you can see it opened. I wanted it to meet in the middle of the back and attach buttons so it would be easier to get on and off. I think I’ll make a few more in other colors.
Here are my renditions of the yoke and the dress (and a little purse, to hold important stuff, to match):